Hearty Bacon and Vegetable Soup
- 2.5 hours
- 4 servings
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, sliced thinly
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped roughly
- 1 pack of Farmland Foods bacon bones
- 420g tin chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup each of marjoram, thyme and oregano leaves
- 1½ litres water
- 1 cup diced potato
- 420g tin cannellini beans, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
1. In a large pot warm the oil. Add the onion, garlic, celery, leek and carrots cooking for 5 minutes or until starting to soften.
2. Add the bones, tomatoes, herbs and water bringing to a simmer for 1½ hours.
3. Add the potato and beans, continuing to cook for 20 minutes until softened. Remove the bones and using a fork, remove the meat, then return it to the pot and discard the hock.
4. Season with salt and pepper. Reheat the soup and just before serving add the spinach.