Bacon and Pesto Pinwheels
- Prep time: 15 mins (+ 20 mins in freezer) Cook time: 20 mins Makes: 18 pinwheels
For the walnut pesto*:
½ cup FreshLife Californian walnuts
2 cups Superb Herb basil leaves
¼ cup Olivado extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup grated parmesan
½ lemon, juiced
1 clove garlic,
Salt and pepper
2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
2 tbsp milk, for brushing
Get the kids to help make these tasty bacon and pesto pinwheels. They are perfect for brunches, lunches (for kids and adults!) and after school snacks. Make extra pesto for snacks, cheese boards and quick midweek pasta meals.
To see the full video recipe follow here
- For the walnut pesto: add walnuts to a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Toast the walnuts for 3-5 minutes, until golden. Let cool. Add all pesto ingredients to a blender and blitz until chunky. Add olive oil as needed and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For pinwheels: spread pesto in a layer over puff pastry sheets. Lay bacon rashers on top and sprinkle with grated cheese. Roll up tightly, wrap with cling film (or pastry wrapper) and pop in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Using a sharp knife cut the rolls into 1.5cm widths then lay spaced on the prepared baking trays. Brush with milk. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden and cooked.
Tip 2: if you’re low on time you can use store-bought pesto.